Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Back From Nebraska

Well we made it back from Nebraska. I'll fill you in on the turkey hunt over the next few days. Sorry I haven't posted for a few days, but the computer time was tough to find in NE.

The first morning, I got up nice and early and made it out to the turkey hunting spot by 5:30. I climbed straight up a big butte to see if there was any action and to my surprise there were turkeys right below me. Turkeys everywhere, probably 6 or 8 toms and jakes and 20 or so hens. Gobbling, fighting, raising a general ruckus. I wanted to get the hunt on film, so I held back and just filmed the maylay. What a site. I had several toms within 10 yards and the whole group within 40 yards at one time. They tried to climb the butte right beside me, but I had an orange flag sticking out of my vest (I discovered too late) and they would get close and start alarm putting. They eventually wandered off, but opening day was pretty exciting. I also got some decent footage, although it could have been better with a higher zoom camera.

My cameraman was worn out from the trip and the rugrat, so I had high hopes for day two and getting a turkey kill on film.

No comments: